You must log in to the main website at the bottom of this page to post messages.

Advanced

Bow Roller Bracket

Posted by Richard Lariviere 
Bow Roller Bracket
June 15, 2009 04:56PM
The installation of a bow roller has been problematic for me and it took a while for getting the idea as to how I would solve this problem.
By looking at other T34C installations and by looking at newer boats, I decided to go with the approach described below.
I saw that new boats have a single bracket for both the forestay chainplate and the bow roller support. Why not use the same approach... if it is ok for a newer boat, it is just fine for a T34C.

The idea is to bolt a plate of the forestay chainplate, fold it over the foredeck, fold it again toward the deck and bolt it there, thru the deck.
I also wanted to leave the boat as original as possible and wanted to be able to remove the bracket without having to remove the forestay ( read unmast). That's why I built it like a fork where the existing forestay bracket could remain in place.

I removed the chainplate and used it as a guide for folding the new u shape bracket so that the angle would be the same.

The new bracket is made of 1/4" stainless steel with lots of polishing to get the chrome to the surface.

Future will tell if my idea was good.

Fair wind

Richard Larivière
Ile-Bizard, Quebec
Canada
Indian Summer 1, #109
Attachments:
open | download - Bow roller bracket 1.gif (13.8 KB)
open | download - Bow roller bracket 2.gif (11.7 KB)
open | download - Bow roller bracket 3.gif (13.2 KB)
open | download - Bow roller bracket 4.gif (9.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_0446.JPG (156.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0447.JPG (142.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_0449.JPG (222.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_0452.JPG (256.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_0448.JPG (130.2 KB)
Re: Bow Roller Bracket
August 28, 2009 06:24AM
One of this years late projects will be the addition of a windless. What make and model windless are you using on Indian Summer? Is it the windless you would recommend if you were doing a firstime windless project?

Bert Noojin
Kelsey B / Hull 392
bertnoojin@hotmail,com
Re: Bow Roller Bracket
October 14, 2009 05:24AM
Bert,
I installed a Lewmar 1000 Profish. It is a horizontal windlass.
I installed that model because I got it for a very good price. I did not shop around.
I have put a SS plate under the deck to reinforce the deck.
I wired it up with AWG #4 wires to the starting battery. While weighting the anchor, I keep the engine running at 1,300 RPM (or so) to help the battery.
I have 100' of chain and 100' of rode. When pulling the 35lbs Bruce anchor, the windlass does a good job but you have to let the boat advance by itself to give it a chance.

Now that I have it installed, I would not go back, it is a very good feature, it allows me to anchor from the cockpit, while sailing alone.
I recommend this project to everyone.
Richard
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0449.JPG (222.9 KB)